||1.Adopted and promulgated by Ministerial Order No. 10920007440, BSMI, MOEA on 26 November 2021.
||1. These Directions are hereby stipulated for implementing the inspection of exterior tiles.
2. Scope of inspection: exterior tiles imported and domestically-produced, excluding the
(1) Those that are imported or produced for purpose of restoration or reuse of monuments,
historic buildings, commemorative buildings and groups of buildings, as well as of
construction or facilities within historic sites or cultural landscapes, in order to preserve
the value of cultural heritage and original appearance;
(2) Those with a length over 605 mm in each side and those adopting a construction
method other than paving, such as locking, systematic stell grid fixation, reinforced steel
steel grid fixation, etc.; or
(3) Those with a thickness of less than 3 mm, large-size, thin-layer decorative materials,
and serving as interior wall tiles or applying to counter doors.
3. Inspection Scheme: Registration of Product Certification (Module II-Type Test +
Module VII-Factory Inspection).
4. Inspection Standards and Inspection Items:
(1) Inspection Standards: CNS 9737:2016 “Ceramic tiles.”
(2) Inspection Items: “shape and height of back feet,” “modulus of rupture,” and Chinese
labeling stated in Clauses 9.1 to 9.3.
5. Requirements for Registration of Product Certification (RPC):
(1) Principles of Type Determination:
a. Same Type: product of the same category in its maximum surface area (please refer to
the Appendix) and the same manufacture.
b. Main Type: Among products of the same type, selection either wet or dry forming
process as the main type.
c. Series of Type: Among products of the same type, those other than the main type.
(2) Sampling principles for Type Test: one piece each from the main type and series of
type having the largest surface area in each category.
(3) Type Test Items: the items stated in Clause 4 shall be tested for the main type and
series of type.
(4) The applicant applying for type test shall submit the following documents in triplicate
as well as the samples to the BSMI, the Hsinchu Branch of BSMI or BSMI designated
testing laboratories for performing the test:
a. Type classification table.
b. List of product components and materials.
c. 3x5 inch or larger-sized color photos of the product (or as an alternative, the
manufacturer’s color catalog).
d. Sumary of the production processes.
e. Samples of the Chinese labels (including a test report on “water absorption” issued by a
third-party testing laboratory).
f. Samples (ten pieces for each type, including the outer packaging).
(5) The applicant applying for RPC certificates shall make the application to the BSMI or
its branches by submitting the type test reports, copies of the factory inspection reports
issued by the BSMI or inspection bodies recognized by the BSMI and other required
(6) Upon the grant of RPC certificates, the obligatory inspection applicant shall affix the
Commodity Inspection Mark, which is composed of a letter “R” and an identification
number, to the smallest packaging unit of the product on its own responsibility.
(7) If there are changes to the scope of the products listed in the RPC certificate, an
application shall be made to the BSMI or its branch having jurisdiction over the applicant
for a replaced certificate by submitting a new type test report from the original report
issuance testing laboratory.
6. The type test report may be replaced by a test report under the CNS Mark Certificatoin
System of which the issuance date shall be within one year of the RPC application, under
the condition that the tested samples are drawn following the same principle stated in
Clause 5.2. One CNS Mark test report can be only used to replace the type test report for
one one main type or one series of type.